Director of Fire & Employee Safety
Northern Light Health Fire and Employee Safety Director provides consultative support for the member organization’s fire and employee safety programs and in contacts with municipal, state and federal agencies involved in health care code enforcement and fire prevention, protection and employee safety compliance. Works effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Provides consultative fire and employee safety support for EMHS member organizations. Acts as the Eastern Maine Healthcare System Fire and Employee Safety Director, assuring compliance with all applicable NFPA, Joint Commission standards for fire and life safety, including interim life safety programs associated with active construction and/or renovation projects and other applicable standards as adopted and enforced by CMS, the state of Maine Dept. of Health & Human Services and the State of Maine Fire Marshal's Office.
• Provides consultative support to EMHS member organizations for the development, implementation, maintenance and administration of Occupational Safety and Health programs required to maintain compliance with Federal, State and Local standards. Develops written compliance programs, Standard Operating Procedures & Policies, compliance audits and training programs as required. Is directly responsible for development, management of EMMC Fire and Employee Safety programs and compliance. Performs regular compliance audits for EMHS member organizations and reports audit results to the member organization and EMHS AVP of Facilities Management.
• Supports a system wide industrial hygiene program to include indoor air quality monitoring and investigations with recommendations for improvement and protection of staff, noise monitoring/ hearing conservation and recommendations for improvement and protection of staff, and chemical hygiene monitoring and investigations with recommendations for improvement and protection of staff.
• Responsible for the EMMC hazardous waste and biomedical waste management program.
• Under supervision of the AVP of Facilities Management, the Fire and Employee Safety Director provides multidisciplinary operating support to the EMHS fire and life safety and employee safety programs. The Director of Fire and Employee Safety will also be responsible for interacting with county, State and Federal agencies to maintain the highest state of readiness, on behalf of all EMHS member organizations.
• Develops policies and procedures relating to fire and employee safety prevention and response that are consistent with EMHS confidentiality, privacy and corporate compliance policies including all applicable Federal and State laws.
• Continually supports member organization's facilities fire and employee safety programs for EMHS, maintaining, and updating appropriate documents and policies. Supports accident/injury prevention and investigation including root cause analysis, as well as assisting in the safe return of injured workers to gainful employment.
• Reviews member organization's fire drills according to the requirements of authorities having jurisdiction. Develops and conducts fire prevention education sessions as required by regulation & best practice.
• Supports member organizations in the preparation of Fire Protection Manuals, Safety Programs, training outlines and employee instructions for work deemed to have recognized hazards. Advises the member organizations Environment of Care Function committees, and supports the activities of the Fire Safety Plans for EMHS member organizations.
• Is directly responsible for the EMMC EOC Fire Safety, Employee Safety, and Hazardous Materials Plan. Reviews and audits the current Statement of Conditions documents for EMHS facilities as required by accreditation agencies and anticipates changes being made to the program
• Works effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Contribute effectively to the accomplishment of EMHS safety goals, objectives and activities.
• Directly supports maintenance and construction management departments for all EMHS member organizations in review of proposed and ongoing building and renovation projects, including active participation and ongoing inspection of these projects and the creation of Interim Life Safety Plans as necessary.
• Supports Construction Management and Facilities Maintenance groups in construction and renovation projects at EMHS, including observing and auditing work in progress, ensures that proper fire protection equipment is used and procedures are followed.
Competencies and skills:
* 10+ years of relative work experience required.
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Influences and Inspires: Builds enthusiasm and commitment among others to move in a desired direction and models it personally. Creates a compelling vision of success that motivates workplace initiative and energizes others to follow. Provides direction and guidance to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective. Has the ability to appropriately influence others' actions and decisions with and without express authority.
* Word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, database experience and other computer related skills.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Resolves Conflict: Promptly acts to find alternatives/solutions when team members disagree. Addresses issues in a direct, honest, and appropriate manner. Handles conflicting interests diplomatically and helps to solve them. Transforms difficult situations into teachable moments using respect and accountability .
* Bachelor's Degree