Patient Experience Specialist
Under the supervision of the Patient Experience Program Manager, and in close collaboration with the Director of Patient Experience, serves as a visible and enthusiastic champion in providing the measures, education and coaching needed to build improved excellent patient experiences. Provides support to operational leaders in managing the patient experience by proactively acting on patients' behalf. Collaborates with and actively coaches select areas and/or departments including/involving senior leadership, department managers and frontline staff to develop and implement strategies to improve the patient experience and performance on HCAHPS and other patient surveys. This is primarily achieved by understanding and communicating patient needs, complaints, and concerns to the staff, leaders and medical staff, and collaborates with all parties to implement recommendations as applicable. Identifies Patient Experience Opportunities, and in collaboration with the Patient Experience Program Manager, the Patient Advocate collaborates in the development of programs and services designed to improve the patient experience by initiating strategic training, coaching and tactics.
• Principal facilitator of the hospital Complaint and Grievance Program.
• Receives grievances /complaints /concerns from patient/families and others.
• Coordinates the investigation and analyzes the grievance/complaint/concern with appropriate parties and departments for resolution.
• Responds to the grievance/complaint according to Grievance Guidelines, appropriate regulatory agencies and hospital policy.
• Involves Risk Management when a possible liability is introduced; issues are summarized and compiled for reports to management and for future improvement.
• Partners with Quality Department to ensure accurate reporting of grievance statistics. Primary facilitator of the GREAT Team.
• Provides support on various projects and activities to facilitate the integration and effective use of Patient Experience tools on an ongoing basis.
• Provides educational support to staff, leaders and physicians on these Patient Experience tools and activities.
• As the hospital ambassador meets with patients regularly to listen, ask questions related to their experience and collaborates with staff to ensure individual patient needs are proactively met (e.g. Welcome Rounds).
• Supports staff in the facilitation of Service Recovery opportunities responding to the needs and concerns of patients, families and other customers.
• Helps facilitate associate recognition activities including leveraging patient comments and compliments received.
• One of the primary resources for understanding the internet based tool and provides educational support to new and current users.
Competencies and skills:
* 5+ years of relative work experience required.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Bachelor's Degree
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.